Monday 29 November 2010

Researching the Market

Mixmag,

Mixmag is a British dance music and clubbing magazine. I especially chose this magazine, as it is my biggest rival as my magazine has a clubbing side to it. I like the way this magazine uses erotic neon colours, which gives it that clubbing feel. This is someone thing I will try to use in my magazine. Like Kerrang! The masthead has the same colour format, with bold bright white text. This stands out and makes it clear what the masthead is. This is defiantly something I would introduce to my magazine. Another thing that drawed me towards this magazine is that there is no centre dominate image. The centre image is text. I think this works well as it is a clubbing magazine and with clubbing there is strong bright neon lights and the text is in them colours. So therefore it’s a image of lights.


Mixmag published its first issue on February 1st, 1983. This was a 16 page-black and white magazine published by ‘disco mix club’ which was a DJ mailout service. Mixmag was later sold to EMAP Ltd, In the mid- 1990s before being brought by development hell. Development hell also own the music magazine, ‘the word.’

Font size and Colour: the font used in Mixmag for the main cover line I think its genius. I really like it and would like to include some font of this time in my magazine as I think it is ideal for my idea. I also love the colour scheme how it is all based around this baby blue. Which I think really works and shows and gives the reader the feel of the clubbing scene.

Unlike the brand ‘Kerrang!’ the Brand name ‘Mixmag’ doesn’t have its own Television show or radio station. But however it does have a website which is called http://www.mixmag.net

Price: £3.95, like I said from the other magazine research Kerrang! I thought £4 was a reasonable price for a monthly magazine. This is 5p of my estimate so my price tag will be along the same lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment